Friday, May 18, 2012

The traffic

IMG_9984

Traffic in Nairobi IS really horrendous. Until you actually see it, it’s hard to believe. It’s one of those things you have to experience for yourself. I already knew there were almost 4 million people commuting in and out of Nairobi daily, but never thought it could get this bad. Or maybe I  just forgot what real traffic looks like with the lack of it up in Somerville.

The new highway, Chinese-built by the way, was absolutely packed with traffic still in both directions. No movement! No where to go! It took 20 minutes to cross the bridge I took this picture from! Day turned to night. No joke! Glad to be in a taxi, not a matatu. I can only imagine this ordeal crammed with 20 people in an old van…

In the mean time, people are crossing the highway to get from one side to the other. I guess this what the “No crossing in either direction” signs were for. People are walking between the cars selling all sorts of things: from attention signs to sets of knives to weird-looking toys. Always something to entertain you while you wait in traffic.

This was a good day, it hadn’t started raining yet.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I would like to see whether that traffic is similar to the one in Mexico City! I did 2 hours today to arrive to work, when the trip usually takes 10 minutes drive without traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Mexico City is pretty bad too. Can't speak more about the traffic, though. Avoiding it like it's my job!

    ReplyDelete